For somebody who is a fresher in writing or is not accustomed to it, writing content for a website becomes a tough task. Writing the content of the website is one of the major challenge faced by website designers. So sharing some tips to help you streamline your content writing process.
Before writing, sit and think what you want the visitors to see on the website. Ensure that you have a clear idea about the main topics of the web page and it connects to the visitors. Follow the below steps
- Study the company thoroughly and determine a focal point.
- Identify the main topics of the web page.
- In case you have doubts, ask yourself about it.
Keywords work as the traffic generators and are attention grabbers of any website. While writing the content of your website consider these points
- Ensure that the keywords that you’re using are commonly used and known ones.
- The keywords used should compel search engine to guide users to your website.
- If you have an existing website, you can look through your website analytics data to see what users are typing in and make sure you’re addressing their needs.
Start With an Outline
Creating outline is what helps you in further detailing of the website. Writing content becomes easier when done in small parts. Before doing any serious writing, create an outline by following these steps:
- Start with your main idea.
- Break down sub ideas.
- For each sub idea, write out the pieces of information that you want to get across.
Write First, Then Edit
As a writer the hardest task is getting the words down on paper. The moment you start writing is extremely crucial. Follow these steps to do it effectively
- Write down your thoughts randomly. At the primary stage, it is not advisable to concentrate on perfect sentence structure or the perfect words.
- Once you have it all down, you can then go back and make corrections and updates.
Make the Tone Consistent
Ideally, only one person should write all the content of the website, to maintain consistency in the content. Follow these steps to do it effectively
- Study the competitors website to understand how they communicate to visitors.
- Ensure that the tone you use is not boring. Make them feel and connect to the content of your website.
A great tone can inspire desirable emotional responses in your visitors.
And emotional responses are huge in human decision-making.
Write for scanners
A reader just glances through the website, he does not read each and every word. On the web it’s rare that a reader hangs on to every word you write. Generally, they just want the required information quickly. It is important that your content has the required keywords placed properly in the content.
- Does your headline communicate what you’re about?
- Does your image caption communicate a sales message?
- Do your sub-headlines summarize your key points?
- Do easy-to-scan bullet points reduce wordiness?
- Your web visitor is hunting for information or products. Ensure he can understand your most important information by just glancing at your web page.
Make a visual impression
Web content and web design should work together. The visual appeal of your website impacts the readability of your text; and influences whether web visitors can quickly get what you’re about. Some steps for achieving this
- Replace text by photographs or videos.
- Consider different font sizes as large text often grasp attention quickly.
- Quotes or testimonials written in different text fonts, size make it appealing.
- Play around with highlights, bold text, CAPS, or italics.
- Break a long headline into a headline with a sub-headline.
- Change paragraphs into bullet points.
A website which is cluttered generates negative feedback on customers. Your website should be clean, clear and crisp, visitor should be able to navigate between the pages with ease. When placing the content on the page, do keep in mind the below steps:
- Keep it clear, concise, and to the point
- Don’t get too wordy – users typically scan a page and don’t read in depth
- Try and vary your sentence structure and length to keep it interesting.
- Use formatting to break up the page (headings, bulleted lists, images and so on)
Most importantly: de-clutter. Reduce noise and add white space. Not only will it make your website easier to read, it will also increase your perceived trust
Use these tips to create an interesting, unique and SEO friendly website.